Sunday 3 May 2015

Breaking the excuse barrier.

I'm going to make this quick because that's kind of the point here, I could probably sum this up in an Instagram post, maybe even a 140 character tweet but in the interest of growing the blog I'll set it down here...

If you've read previous posts or follow my exploits elsewhere, you know I have no time for people who tell me they have no time, in fact I've become so adept at defying people's aversions to training and maintaining a healthy lifestyle that I can debunk 90% of all excuses quicker than most people can squeeze the words 'I don't have...' out of their talk boxes.

However... I do recognise that there are some circumstances in which a lot of the parameters I set out for The Nomad Way, simply aren't achievable. After a conversation with my girlfriend about parenthood this week, I realised that there ARE times when you physically cannot leave the house, are limited on time and have access to no equipment. This is not ideal, but we can work with it. 

This is the no excuses workout, you need less floor space than a dining room table, some form of stopwatch/ clock and most of all, the desire to stop making up objections and start making changes. 

Put a stopwatch somewhere you can see it, I use the watch on my iPhone because it's bright, hard to miss and you've always got it handy. Immediately you hit the start button you're going to get to work, we're just going to perform two simple exercises with impeccable, controlled form with a fancy explosive transition between them...

Exercise one, The squat.
Squat.
That's it, just squat all the way down, arse to grass, keeping your torso upright and chest spread, before standing back up explosively, five nice controlled reps.

After the fifth rep, squat down again but bend forward and place your hands on the floor in front of your feet, from here explosively thrust your feet backwards, ending up in the top of a press up position. This brings us nicely to exercise two...

The press up
I'm sure you don't need me to draw you a diagram... Lower yourself down until your chest touches the floor (yes, touches the floor, do it right or don't do it at all, that's what I always say) before pressing back up to extended arms. Repeat five times, meaningfully but under control. 


After that fifth rep, thrust your legs back up towards your hands, finishing in a crouched position, ready to go back into 5 more squats...

So that's it- 
5 squats, 5 press ups, 5 more squats. Perform this two exercise, 15 rep trifecta on the minute, every minute for as long as you have to spare. Even if you only manage ten minutes, you've still completed 100 reps for your lower body and half of that for your upper, not to shabby.

The 15 reps should initially take you around 20-30 seconds to complete (increasing in time as fatigue sets in.) What you do for the rest of the minute is entirely up to you; skip or jog on the spot if you want to majorly increase the calorie burn, pace around the room, it doesn't really matter... Just be ready to roll on the top of the next minute.

You can do this for as long as you like, as often as you like, if you're currently untrained, just trying to shift a few pounds and feel a bit better in your own skin, it could theoretically be the mainstay of your workout programming, do it for at least 20-30 mins 3-5 times a week after you've put the kids to bed and I GUARANTEE you will see and feel differences in no time. 

You've got nothing to lose but your excuses.

AT

No comments:

Post a Comment